[News] First You Ignore, Then You Ridicule/Laugh...

Microsoft says Office unfazed by Google threat

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the two new heads of Microsoft Corp.'s Office software team
| downplayed the threat from Google Inc.'s Web-based word processing
| and spreadsheet applications, saying they are unlikely to appeal to
| corporate customers.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061122/tc_nm/microsoft_office_dc

If it's not a threat, then why do they come out announcing it so officially?
I happen to have several colleagues who use Google Docs & Spreadsheets. It
was the same with OpenOffice when version 2 came out. Here's a more
elaborate explanation (excuse the length).

Gates is trying to keep a desktop monopoly where he still has some control.

Gates warns of return to Internet bubble era

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates, the co- founder of Microsoft, warned Thursday against
| the rush to new Web-based software services, likening the frenzy to
| the days of the 1990s Internet bubble...."There are a hundred
| YouTube sites out there," Gates said during an interview with a
| group of journalists in Brussels before a speech to European
| lawmakers....Although he did not mention the subjects in detail
| during his speech, Microsoft executives distributed a series of
| position papers during his visit calling for progress on a unified
| European patent system, support for a proposed European Technology
| Institute, and increased funding of research and development in
| European countries.
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/09/yourmoney/msft.php

Meanwhile:

MSN Still Going Nowhere Fast

,----[ Quote ]
| It is worth noting that Microsoft still hasn't made any headway
| in the search-and-portal game and, in fact, is falling farther andf
| arther behind. As a result, it is not surprising that Steve Ballmer
| is now warning media companies that Google is the Evil Empire --
|        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| because no other competitive tactic has worked.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061116/20767_id.html?.v=1

Demonise Google when you can't compete?

Google, Ask Gain Search Share; Yahoo, Microsoft Lose Ground

,----[ Quote ]
| Thursday afternoon reported that Google increased its share of
| U.S. search queries in September to 45.1%, up from 44.1% in
| August and 43.7% in July.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061020/18896_id.html?.v=1

Sources: Several Windows Live Projects Halted

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Windows Live desktop search project has been
| shelved "indefinitely," although not much reasoning has been
| given as to the reason for its demise.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sources_Several_Windows_Live_Projects_Halted/1163715423

But Live services were said to be important. This is according to Microsoft
managers as a matter of fact...

Ozzie: Vista, Office must adapt to Web era

,----[ Quote ]
| Ozzie said that the transition to integrate online services into Microsoft
| products has been a challenge but that changes within the company are
| happening.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6133895.html

Will Web 2.0 ultimately kill Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
|  Allchin shared his thoughts on Windows Live (which, along with Windows and
| developer tools also falls under his organization); competition with Google
| and Apple; and why a client-based version of Windows won?t ever completely
| disappear, regardless of how successful Web services become.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=66

Worth mentioning:

,----[ Quote ]
| In order to use Microsoft Office Live, you will need to have
| Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 or later running on Microsoft Windows
| 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Microsoft Windows Server 2003. You
| can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from the Microsoft
| Download Center.
`----

http://home.membercenter.office.microsoft.com/Misc/CompatibleShell.aspx?linkId=UnsupportedBrowser

Also see:

Internet? We are not interested in it" -- Bill Gates, 1993

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Talk:Bill_Gates

He keeps trying to push the Internet away.

Gates: Internet Bubble Is Back

,----[ Quote ]
| "We're back kind of in Internet-bubble era in terms of people
| thinking: 'O.K., traffic. We want traffic. We want traffic,'"
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates said. "There are still some areas
| where it is unclear what's going to come out of that."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/OXeSW60uKg5mvA/Gates-Internet-Bubble-Is-Back.xhtml

Sour grapes.