Re: [News] Opinion/Speculation: Forking Around the GPLv3

Mark Kent wrote:

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Peter KÃhlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> 7 wrote:

>>> novell-will-fork-any-open-source-app.html
>>>

>>> It won't work since the whole open source community will want
>>> to shift to GPL3 all its updats to protect its investment in free
>>> and unencumbered software.
>>
>> This is utter bullshit. Linus Torvalds *and* the kernel maintainers have
>> already expressly told that the kernel will *not* be under GPL3, not now,
>> not ever if the current state of the GPL3 stays the way it is
>
> Not correct.  I've discussed this with at least one senior kernel
> maintainer - his position is that by no means all the kernel maintainers
> have this view, and that it's by no means any done deal.

As far as Linus is concerned, it is very much a done deal. He flatly refused
to even talk about GPL3 in its current state. Most of the kernel
maintainers shared his view, and have even written an open letter opposing
the GPL3

> He was a German chap, btw.

That fact does not mean that he can't be wrong

Iam not a kernel maintainer, but I am german. And I am strongly opposed to
the GPL3
--
It's not about, 'Where do you want to go today?' It's more like,
'Where am I allowed to go today?'