Re: [News] Free Linux Classes On Web

begin  oe_protect.scr
High Plains Thumper <hpt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> New online class teaches basic Linux for free
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Germany-based LinuxBasics.org was founded in May of 2004.
>>| In addition to the courses, the site also provides
>>| tutorials and links to other sites that offer information
>>| needed to install and use Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS8400135171.html
>>
>> More of a self-taught and collaborative exercise, rather
>> than institutionalised.
>
> This is a good sign that there is greater interest in Linux.
> By being web based means that it will be easier to reach the
> masses, particularly students and working people.

It's a kind of step up from the Howtos, readmes, man-pages and so on,
and the O'Reilly books.  Linux now needs to gain a new generation of
users and admins.  Developers are coming along through the academic
systems, and the current generation of users and admins are mostly the
technical cognescenti who pre-date Windows themselves.  There's a
generation in the middle who've missed out on this, but if the
up-and-coming users and admins are getting trained, and the old-timers
already know, then continuity of support and development for FLOSS will
be maintained.

An observation from attending many conferences on these areas:  most
people are either 40+ or are 20-something.  There are far fewer people
in their 30s, in my experience.  They're the "windows" generation, and
they're being sandwiched by us older folk, and the youngsters.

What will you do if all your problems aren't solved by the time you die?