Re: [News] Windows XP's Eneregy Consumption Due to Inefficiencies/Mistakes Costs $Billions

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> How Windows XP Wasted $25 Billion of Energy
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has been touting Vista's new power saving features,
> | saying that upgrading to Vista could easily save consumers and
> | corporations $50 to $75 per computer per year in energy costs.
> | The question, though, is what marvelous new code makes this miracle
> | possible. The answer? They fixed three stupid mistakes that have
> | cost the world billions of dollars and millions of tons of CO2 in
> | the past five years.
> `----
>
> http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/11/how_windows_xp.php
>
> From yesterday:
>
> Computers in schools are an environmental time-bomb
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The solution, according to Sirius Corporation, is a move away from the
> | ECTA frameworks to leaner hardware and 'virtualised' network services.
> |
> | Traditional 'fat-client' workstations should be replaced by low-power
> | 'thin-client' terminals. With flat screens and server consolidation
> | power consumption could be reduced even further.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Hardware requirements to run Windows Vista means these consumption
> | figures will rise even futher. Schools are using computers as room
> | heaters which then need to be cooled using expensive air conditioning
> | and Modern thin-client networks could reverse this trend and are
> | available from the Open Source community and vendors of proprietary
> | software today.
> `----
>
> http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=213

I posted this in a Oct 7, 2006 message, but it is worth repeating again.

Here is an odd bit of information.  Wake on LAN technology has been around
for a while as a green feature for PC's, yet until Microsoft SCCM (System
Center Configuration Manager) 2007 is deployed, earlier Systems Management
Server (SMS) 2003 required a third party solution to wake up PC's for
patches.

http://www.faqshop.com/sms2003/default.htm?http://www.faqshop.com/
      sms2003/sms2k3otherindex.htm

or http://tinyurl.com/gw6kl

| Does SMS 2003 Support Wake-on-LAN?
|
| Contributed By: Cliff Hobbs [MVP SMS]
| SMS does not support Wake-On-LAN out of the box.  However SMSWakeUp from
| 1E is an integrated product that provides this functionality:
|
|   http://www.1e.com/smswakeup

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/sms/sms2003/techfaq/
      tfaq13.mspx

or http://tinyurl.com/y28o7u

| Q.  Does SMS 2003 support Wake on LAN technology?
| A.  Wake on LAN technology allows a computer to enter a
| powered-down or sleep state, but enter an active state upon
| receiving specific network packets. SMS 2003 does not
| currently include Wake on LAN technology, though there are
| some third-party applications that provide Wake on LAN
| within SMS.

I have always wondered why some corporate shops kept their
PC's powered up 24 hours a day, when there was potential to
save energy by putting them in sleep mode, to be awaken by the
server.

1.7 GHz PC at idle consumes approximately 60 Watts.

A corporate or educational campus with 1,000 PC's:

60 Watts/PC x 1,000 PC's x 24 hours/day x 365 days/year x .001
kilo-Watt-hours/Watt-hours = 525,600 kWh.

East Coast US cost of $0.125 per kWh nets annual cost of
$65,700 or 35,478 GBP required to keep PC's powered up
annually.

IMHO, apparently helping consumers save energy and reduce fossil emissions
is not a value added item to the corporation.

--
HPT