Re: 'Open' programming Languages Still Dominate

  • Subject: Re: 'Open' programming Languages Still Dominate
  • From: "Wayne McClaine" <gary.griffith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 21 Nov 2006 12:37:29 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:03:29 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> This is very misleading.  Java has a high mark because the Java language is
> (other than for curiosities sake) the only language used on the Java
> platform.

Here's some information in the survey that is not misleading:

Although Java, C, and PHP, and Perl have slightly fallen in popularity
over the past year, C++ has virtually stagnated, Ruby is rising
(figures, got a lot of attention in '06) and VB is rising.  I think
it's safe to say VB in '06 is VB.NET.  Unless one still writes legacy
code for Office apps.

And interesting to me is the C# has slipped and traded places with
Python. C# losing ground..... now, wasn't that language some big deal a
few years ago?  Seems to be sliding in a downward direction lately
after some 4% peak about a year ago....

> Unfortunately, this survey doesn't break down languages by platform.  Many
> of the languages (such as C++ and Python) can run on .NET.  They don't
> break out VB versus VB.NET either, which are essentially totally different
> languages.  The same with Delphi, in which later versions target the .NET
> runtime.

> I think it would be more enlightening to see which platforms have the most
> interest.

I think the point is that Java, Perl, PHP, Python, Ruby, and C are all
OSS.  I can get a compiler or interpreter for Windows, Linux, or Unix.
Charge to me - $0.  Believe me, I am not saying that the compile or the
script would be 100% portable across these platforms.  But I have
worked on several PHP and Java projects where you can tinker in Windows
and deploy on Linux.... developers may think that's a "nice to have".

If the app is VB or C#, I am limited to Windows.  If a customer wanted
to scale my app onto a Unix or Linux server, I'd be in quite a pickle.