Re: Laptop Maker Touts Linux-readiness

  • Subject: Re: Laptop Maker Touts Linux-readiness
  • From: Hadron Quark <qadronhuark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 16:15:52 +0200
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:ckv5VP5PAy299tY8J4jHq7eWVJ0=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> billwg wrote:
>

>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> I thought this was out of the ordinary...
>>>
>>> CompAmerica's Ultra-durable Snow Leopard Laptop Weighs Only 2.8 Pounds
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>> Every computer made ships with XP, royboy, what's so unusual about this
>> one doing the same?  According to the COLA commandos, linux works on
>> all computers, even really old, junky ones, so that isn't any news
>> either.
>
> Linux does work on lots of laptops, but others have driver problems.
>
> What you seem to have missed is that this company are openly telling buyers
> that their laptop is already proven for Linux. Which means that they are
> either unafraid of MS bullying tactics, or they haven't yet experienced
> them so don't realise they are likely to wake up with a horses head in the
> bed.

There is a third possibility : that the COLA nuts were lying and
exaggerating all the time in order to justify no one pre-installing a
"not ready yet" Linux on PCs for the home. No one wanted it, you cant
play games and the standard of the desktop SW a few years back was
shoddy to say the least.

Is it ready for prime time now?

No. Because entertainment SW for it is generally piss poor. Amarok :
good, but buggy. Totem : buggy. MythTV : excellent but hard to
install. OpenGL : only really works properly on NVidia. Games support :
almost non existent. See S2 games for one example of poeple who bucked
the trend for a short time but have recently switched to Direct X too.