Re: [News] Open Source Affects Journalism, Films

  • Subject: Re: [News] Open Source Affects Journalism, Films
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 08:51:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 09 October 2006 07:45 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
> newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Movies Go Open Source With Stray Cinema Project
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| The raw footage from a film shot in London has been made
>>| available for the public to download from the Stray Cinema
>>| website. The idea is to provide people with the opportunity
>>| to create their own version of the film, following the
>>| guidelines set by the Open Source movement found in software
>>| development and licensing.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6740
>>
>> These projects will raise public awareness. They help people grasp the
>> immense power of the Open approach (e.g. collaboration,
>> self-expression, and customisability). This breaks a mental barrier
>> that makes penetration of OSS (inc. GNU/Linux) easier.
>>

> I can see as big a reset in the art world as we've had in the
> computing/software environments, and to a great extent, the written
> word.  The internet has self-publishing available to anyone who wants
> to, just as the GPL and inexpensive computers and network access has
> made both high-quality software and the opportunity to write and publish
> software available to almost anyone.  Visual art has certainly been
> given an enormous boost by the internet, again, from a self-publishing
> viewpoint.

Exactly. Think of the hundreds of millions of publishers/'publishers' out
there. Blogging has made a huge difference. As for art, how many sites can
you find which boast a profolio that's run by a user-friendly CMS (e.g.
Gallery, Coppermine) atop Apache/Linux? It's highly affordable. Entry
barriers are lowered and the middlemen is cut out. When it comes to
publication of academic material, one finds that searching technology, as
well as cheap/free hosting, has an impact (either good or bad, because of
peer review). That's one of those topics that I discussed with Wired
Magazine.

> Music and video have not quite, yet, got to the same point, but I'm sure
> that they will.

As a case study/counter example:

Lonelygirl15 Creators Rely On Open Source

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.techweb.com/wire/software/193003731