Re: COLA Stats 8 Oct 2006

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 10:52:45 +0100, B Gruff wrote:

> In effect, you accuse Roy of bringing a University into disrepute.  I don't
> think that he does that anyway, but you claim that he does, by posting in
> NGs and "associating" the university with his postings by his headers.

If he reads the Universities rules he will see that using their computer
systems for other than schoolwork could get him dismissed.

Now in reality, no University is going to do that for the typical student
surfing the net at night looking up coin collecting or downloading some
mp3's from iTunes.

However, Roy is not the typical student.
He is in charge of fresher week after all!

Roy is using the University computers to spew 1000's of messages to USENET
every month which is WAY, WAY, WAY beyond a little personal use.

And while the school may have a newserver they encourage students to use
for research, what Roy is doing is of a personal nature and in effect as
far as the school is concerned (computer time) he may as well be running a
spam bot sending "get rich quick" ponsai schemes all over the net.

> YOU are either associated with (work for etc) CERN or you are not.

Who cares?

Why do you guys go on witch hunts all the time?