Re: PLAYING MP3 FILES IN LINUX SUSE

  • Subject: Re: PLAYING MP3 FILES IN LINUX SUSE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2006 17:00:51 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
__/ [ Robert Vriens ] on Saturday 07 October 2006 15:00 \__

> sukhi_suse wrote:
>> hi,
>> I am a newbie to Linux Suse10.0 I wanna play my MP3 files. But the xmms
>> player doesn't play
>> Mp3files. Plz help me to get out of this dillemma.
>>
> You need to add the Guru and Packman repositories
>
> Look at: http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_YaST_Package_Repositories
>
> Second you go to System -> Yast -> Admin Password -> Software mgt.
>
> You look for KDE multimedia, and codecs. Add the packages or if they are
> installed allready, update them.
>
> Try Amarok too, its really great.
>
> Enjoy it.

There are a variety of steps which are recommended to all Opensuse
users/installtions (SLED seems to have obviated the need -- see second
link):

http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/05/20/hacking-suse-linux-101/

http://linux.wordpress.com/2006/08/04/hacking-suse-linux-enterprise-10/

It's all for legal reasons, which give you free(dom) and Freedom.

It's akin to Easyubuntu or Automatix, which do that in a scripted fashion
under (x)Ubuntu.

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie