Re: Thousands Of Government Computers Infected By Bots

  • Subject: Re: Thousands Of Government Computers Infected By Bots
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:44:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Friday 06 October 2006 16:53 \__

> Philip wrote:
>> We all knew this, right. " Thousands of government computers may be
>> under the control of cybercriminals". A testomonial in the government's
>> policy to use standard, safe and secure MS software.
>>

>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=193104896
>
> Yeah that's nothing. What about the catastrophic accidents waiting to
> happen at nuclear power plants, because they're running Windows software
> susceptible to viruses and terrorist hacking?

What about people's lives?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/05/hospital_zombie_attack/

What's ironic is that this story comes from Washington State. Also see:

Microsoft in the NHS

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is one of the key technology firms in the £6.2 billion NHS
| IT programme. It is working particularly closely with iSOFT ...
`----

http://www.e-health-insider.com/comment_and_analysis/index.cfm?ID=69

CfH refutes computer failure claims

,----[ Quote ]
| "Very often they are not major incidents as such, but could be caused when
| a patient administration system is running slow or there may be problems
| with the local network. The severity level is attributed by the user and
| this is subsequently very often down graded or amended."
|
| Many of the incidents that have been reported by CfH include failure of
| the systems used by surgeons to see X-ray pictures on a computer screen
| in wards and operating theatres. On some occasions the system is believed
| to have crashed during an operation, forcing surgeons to suspend the
| procedure while a hard copy of the X-ray is found.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/19/cfh_defends_itself/

The funny thing (if one has a sick sense of humour) is that these expensive
software packages are paid for by the public without exception, through
taxation.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Previous signature has been conceded
Tasks: 122 total,   1 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie