Re: [News] Redmond Pretends Linux is Not a Threat

__/ [ ed ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 11:33 \__

> On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 01:44:19 +0100
>
>> Microsoft on warding off the Linux threat
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Having helped launched both NT4 and XP into the UK, the 15-year
>> | Microsoft veteran now concentrates on combating the threat  by
>> | organisations migrating to Linux.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/windows/0,39020396,39283817,00.htm
>>
>> Ignoring the competitor and disregarding its prospects is a form of
>> FUD.
>
> Headline:
>
> Q&A: Microsoft's head of platform strategy denies that open source is a
> credible threat to the software giant's empire, and rules out porting MS
> Office to Linux
>
> A: We don't want MS Office.
>
> Things that are ported in binary format just never last. It's harder to
> make them work across platforms, I think that's what LSB was intending
> to get options for. But there's just no compensation for ./configure &&
> make && make install

I think that the mentioning of source code and the command line would deter
most (new) Linux users. Why not just rely on a repository (a point-and-click
on-tickbox-exercise) and portray Linux in a highly positive way? *smile*
Linux makes it quicker and simpler to find and centralise software. Other
platform require research on the Web, as well as some leg work which could
lead to installation of rogue software.

Ubuntu, by the way, only stocks two proprietary (as in not Open Source)
packages that I am aware of: that Panda anti-virus package and the Opera Web
browser. Still, it's no Debian, but I suppose it's subjected to the same
rules/ideaology, which is why the Firefox icon there is a globe rather than
the trademark Fox wrapping its body around a glove. I believe that the name
is bound to change as well rather soon. Expect Ubuntu to have Firefox with a
name shift and a visual makeover.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
Tasks: 137 total,   1 running, 134 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie