Re: [News] One Guy Administers 279 Linux Workstations in School

__/ [ Jim ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 09:52 \__

> BearItAll came up with this when s/he headbutted the keyboard a moment ago
> in comp.os.linux.advocacy:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> __/ [ Linonut ] on Thursday 05 October 2006 03:22 \__

>>> Have a look...
>>>
>>> This was published just a couple of days ago.
>>>
>>> http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/openoffice_writer_intro
>>>
>>> "With WYSIWIG word processors people get interested in the final layout
> of
>>> the document too soon"
>>>
>>> Let's just hope people can grasp the typesetting paradigm and get some
>>> actual input going while letting the 'brain' of the program handle layout
>>> and styles (which are interchangeable). The article exemplifies this
>>> visually, which I think can be helpful when it comes to changing your
>>> peers' habits.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>

>> That is true, I teach my users to write all their documents with minimum
>> formatting, heading levels, simple bullets etc. Then when they are ready
>> apply a style. It makes it easier for them and produces a better look when
>> the style is applied.
>>
>> Simmilar to the way people used to use the UNIX word processors.
>
> Same here. Wordprocessing in Kate, typesetting in OOo or straight to
> postscript.

I typically start with a simple text editor (Kedit and Kwrite/Kate). Later I
move it onto something else which handles formatting. This has many
advantages, speed and portability included.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
Mem:    514480k total,   486096k used,    28384k free,    56008k buffers