Re: Lack of WGA in Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 04 Oct 2006 20:58:11 +0100
<3414953.hA078gUobA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Wednesday 04 October 2006 20:45 \__
>
>> By Jove, I'm glad that we don't have a WGA or similar in Linux.
>>
>> It would appear that a well-known vendor of widely-used propriatory
>> software has had something of an error in its computer systems (the ones
>> which decide if the S/W is genuine), and which has resulted in some tears
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/04/microsoft_wga-validation_snafu/
>>
>> It was of course just a technical error, which the well-known manufacturer
>> is doing its best to correct and to redeem the situation.
>> One can only hope and pray that the said manufacturer's reputation will not
>> be harmed through this, and I'm sure that we all wish him well in this
>> regard:-)
>
> A month or so ago Ray wrote some lines of code that implement WGA in Linux.
> It's quite simple really,
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/browse_frm/ ...
> thread/f0c400fdcf413631/ff936f38aba5a86b
>
> OR
>
> http://tinyurl.com/otvoj
>
> ----------lga.sh---------
> #!/bin/sh
>
> if [ `uname` = "Linux" ]; then
>  zenity --title "Linux Genuine Advantage" --text "This copy of Linux is\
>  Genuine. Thank you for choosing Genuine Linux!" --info
> else
>  zenity --title "Linux Genuine Advantage" --text "This machine is NOT\
>  running Linux! Please visit http://distrowatch.com/ as soon as possible\
>  to obtain a copy of Genuine Linux." --warning
> fi
> -------------------------

Heh.

Pedant Point: the '!' may require escaping.  Bash has a bad habit of
trying to interpret everything following as an event specifier.

So....

if [ `uname` = "Linux" ]; then
 zenity --title "Linux Genuine Advantage" --text "This copy of Linux is\
 Genuine. Thank you for choosing Genuine Linux\!" --info
else
 zenity --title "Linux Genuine Advantage" --text "This machine is NOT\
 running Linux\! Please visit http://distrowatch.com/ as soon as possible\
 to obtain a copy of Genuine Linux." --warning
fi

And then there's the issue that one might not be running zenity on
Windows...but never mind; 'tis the thought that counts. :-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux makes one use one's mind.
Windows just messes with one's head.