Re: [News] Vista Security - More Void Promises from Microsoft

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:31:19 +0100
<1353635.i3TP5zP6vo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
> | you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
> | Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
> | this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
> | XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to date
> | yet again.

And they'll deliver!  Of course, the fastest snail will
very well outrun the slower snails, too, and everyone
(who's interested in snail racing/raising, anyway) will
say,  "Wow".  (Probably really really really slowly, too.)

But if one's watching closely, the dragonfly will get there
first...unless one counts the rabbit hopping alongside,
the waddling penguin with a happy face, the roadrunner
(and coyote) churning up dust on the street, the cameraman
watching this race walking alongside with his cell phone,
or the road grader down half a block [*], or the F15
way up high overhead.  Or was it an Aurora?  Maybe it
was a GPS satellite?  Or perhaps it was the Starship
Enterprise...erm, never mind; the only thing slower than
the snails are the singletasking lichen on the rocks.

But doesn't that snail shell look just gorgeous?

> `----
>
> http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2357&Itemid=449
>
> Links spewage:
>
> Black Hat Takes Vista to Task
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | She demonstrated two potential attack vectors. One could allow unsigned
> | code to be loaded into the Vista kernel. The second vector involved
> | taking advantage of AMD's Pacific Hardware Virtualization to inject a
> | new form of super malware that Rutkowska claimed to be undetectable.
> `----
>
>                 http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3624861

[rest snipped for brevity]

[*] there's always a road grader somewhere, when a coyote is involved.
Usually, they intersect.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
FILE * fileptr; void f(char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fileptr); }