[News] Nintendo Raises Forecast, Fuelled by DS and Linux-based Wii Prospects

Nintendo ups forecast on strong game console sales

,----[ Quote ]
| The Japanese maker of game machines and software said the revision
| includes its latest estimates for its new game player, the Wii, which
| is expected to go on sale in the United States in November.
|
| Nintendo, the third-ranked game console maker, is hoping its new Wii
| console will lure customers away from new gadgets made by its bigger
| rivals Microsoft Corp. and Sony Corp.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/061003/japan_nintendo.html?.v=3

Also in:

Nintendo Raises Profit Outlook for 2007

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061003/japan_nintendo.html?.v=1

Related:

Survey Shows Wii at 88%, PS3 at 11%

,----[ Quote ]
| Including all hardware, which system will generate the most sales?
|
| 60.7% Nintendo DS,
| 32.8% Nintendo Wii
| 3.3% PS2
| 1.6% PS3
| 1.6% Xbox 360
`----

http://www.nintendorevolution.ca/10012006/01/poll_nintendo_wii_will_crush_ps3_this_holiday

Gamers Say Microsoft Understates Xbox Problems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/08/xbox_gamers02.html

,----[ Quote ]
|     "Microsoft has launched its Xbox 360 games console in Japan to what
| seems like a more subdued response than it received in Europe and North
| America.
|
|     [...]
|
|     Sales of the first Microsoft Xbox in Japan have always lagged behind
| Sony PlayStation 2, which was launched two years before it."

| "It's not going to be a big hit in Japan," said 26-year-old Kentaro
| Okamoto, one of the first Xbox 360 buyers. "I buy every new game console...
| but normally Japanese customers only buy a machine when it's made by Sony
| or Nintendo."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051210/tc_afp/afplifestyleusjapancomputermicrosoftxbox

Why Nintendo Wii will succeed

,----[ Quote ]
| That would be the Wii "gaming console", as opposed to the forthcoming PS3
| and the HD DVD drive equipped Xbox 360s ? all of which are transmogrifying
| into multimedia, do-it-all entertainment hub-type things.

Xbox Live Outages All Over US?

,----[ Quote ]
| In any case the outages do not seem to affect everyone although I can
| say 2old2play has already received 6 emails, 5 PMs, and several blog
| posts about the outages. One such blogger was told by a service rep that
| he was "experiencing a temporary service outage bubble in his area."
| Apparently the rep had received several similar Xbox Live error codes
| that day, but could not say why. 2old2play is currently trying to contact
| Microsoft for a comment and we'll update this page as we receive word.
`----

http://www.2old2play.com/News/Xbox_Live_Outages_All_Over_US_

Sony cuts PS3 price by 20 pct to Y49,980 in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060922:MTFH25783_2006-09-22_03-17-23_T229782&type=comktNews&rpc=44