Re: [News] Ubuntu/GNOME Eye Candy

__/ [ Bruce Scott TOK ] on Tuesday 03 October 2006 16:04 \__

> Roy S wrote:
>
>>Conky eye-candy
>>
>>,----[ Quote ]
>>| Making Ubuntu look better is something that many of us are interested in,
>>| but can we justify the performance impact? Fortunately, with Conky, we
>>| can: It looks cool AND it shows you important information on your
>>| desktop.
>>`----
>
> I think there is too much of this nowadays in Linux...  resource hogging
> eye candy that not only doesn't help but gets in the way.
>
> BTW can you tell me how to get rid of color (ANY color) in xterms?  I
> can't find it in the manpages (nothing in there about the prompt, and
> nothing telling about an option to run them b/w).
>
> I basically stick to an old SuSE where color wasn't in there by
> default.  I use a very soft/neutral background and find anything bright
> distracting.  Even boldface is distracting.

Are you running a greyscale desktop? I very much doubt it because this would
mean working in 'colour-blind mode'. Either way, YaST enables you to change
the palette to project different colours (or none). It can be altered in all
sorts of way. The function is actually there.

I don't know about changing colours in xterm, but with consoles you can
achieve just about anything (any colour), window decorations aside. You can
also customise bash to use little or no colours, e.g. by aliasing some
common commands like /ls/, which _may_ highlight with colours by default.
But colours are your friend, IMO. Colours makes information more condensed,
so your mind can receive more data without motion of the eye or head. Think,
for example, about colouring replies (multiple levels, different colours) in
a newsreader.