Re: [News] European Commission Widens Investigation into Monoppoly Abuse in Vista Security

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Vista hit by EC fears and McAfee ire
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| But the Commission is now concerned about encryption technology
>| and handwriting recognition which are included in the release. The
>| Commission is concerned the development could put Microsoft back in
>| bundling territory, according to the FT.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/02/mcafee_disses_ms/

This is by no means the only area which should be looked at.  The
deliberate damage to the MBR by Microsoft installations should also be
looked at very hard.  Clearly it's not necessary to do so, as other
operating systems manage without such vandalism.

> Microsoft fights the commission using FUD and intimidation.
>
> EU's Kroes denies vendetta against Microsoft
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| BRUSSELS (Reuters) - EU antitrust chief Neelie Kroes on Tuesday rejected
>| an accusation she was pursuing a vendetta against U.S. software giant
>| Microsoft Corp. and suspected a "coordinated campaign" to discredit
>| her agency.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>|  Kroes was responding to a letter published by the newspaper from a
>| Microsoft business partner who accused the EU Commission of "playing
>| games" with Microsoft by raising concerns over its Vista operating
>| system that could delay its launch in Europe.
>|
>| "There appears to be a coordinated campaign to portray the Commission
>| in a negative light," she said...
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060919/microsoft_eu.html?.v=3

Well, that would be normal Microsoft business practice, they do not
consider themselves bound by the law.

> US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
>| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34706

Well, I guess the US is expecting to extract vast amounts of cash out of
the EU on the back of Vista sales, in the billions of Euros, I would
say, so having your lawyer as the ambassador to the EU can't do any
harm.

> Microsoft Hard-Balling EU Over Vista
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| "This is part of the negotiating strategy," a person familiar with the
>| situation told internetnews.com. "They're in a public relations battle."
>|
>| Microsoft made the same threat to South Korean regulators, but did not
>| follow through when they lost that battle.
> `----
>
> http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3631041

MS see the law as a public relations battle, then...

> Vista launch to add 100,000 Europe IT jobs: study
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The study, conducted by research firm IDC and commissioned by Microsoft,
>| said Windows Vista will be installed on over 30 million personal computers
>| in Denmark, France, Germany, Poland, Spain and United Kingdom within the
>| first year of shipment.
> `----
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/tc_nm/microsoft_study_dc

Of course, the money taken out of the EU by Vista will massively
outweight any "job creation".  That said, I cannot imagine that these
jobs will be anything other than the existing population of MCSEs and so
on just "uplifting" their skills, so no new jobs are likely to emerge
here.

> ^^^
>
> IDC pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34542

Well,  what they /mean/ is that Linux is unimportant in terms of
extracting cash from the European economy and moving it to the US
economy, so in that sense, they're quite right.  In the sense of keeping
funds in Europe, or preventing unecessary expense (cost avoidance), then
Linux is hugely important to the EU economy.

> US politicians go to bat for Microsoft
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

Owned, owned, they're all owned.  The US really could do with a reset
to its political system; it's so corrupt that it's starting to infect
the EU system with its corruption.

In order to get a loan you must first prove you don't need it.