Re: Customer financial data stored on Web-connected Windows Server!

  • Subject: Re: Customer financial data stored on Web-connected Windows Server!
  • From: sfletcher@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: 2 Oct 2006 06:34:03 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mark Kent wrote:
> Yup, I've found another one, here it is:
>
> 	http://www.dabs.com/HomePage.aspx
>
> They actually store credit-card details from those who will allow it on
> this site.  I've looked right through, and they /really do/ have the
> financial stuff on a Windows machine.

Mark,

No customer credit card data at Dabs is stored on a "web-connected
windows machine" as you suggested. Customer data is stored on our
in-house, back-end application which does not run on a Windows
platform. When saving new cards online, the customer's data is passed
from the website directly to the back-end app. These details are never
ever stored on a web-connected Windows machine.

For customer-facing transactions (when the web servers request card
information from the back-end application), the application will only
ever respond with the first and last few digits of the card number - so
even if someone could see the traffic between the back-end application
and our webserver, they'd still only be able to see part of the credit
card data.

I'm also unsure as to what relevance this thread has to do with Linux
advocacy - it looks more like MS bashing to me! :-)

> --
> | Mark Kent   --   mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk  |
> Money can't buy happiness, but it can make you awfully comfortable while
> you're being miserable.
> 		-- C.B. Luce

Steven Fletcher
Senior Systems Support Technician