Re: Menus Innovation in Linux

  • Subject: Re: Menus Innovation in Linux
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 1 Oct 2006 13:53:47 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 13:26:12 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
> > KDE 4 menu development
> >
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> >| The main goals of Raptor are clear: to provide a high quality menu
> >| everyone will like. This includes an intelligent "My Favourite" section
> >| (intelligent means really intelligent and not the stuff available today),
> >| a skin supported menu (png or svg, colour, layout), fancy effects ("rain
> >| in the menu", whatever that means) and of course searching of all entries
> >| - at the moment implemented with strigi (which was mentioned pretty often
> >| at akademy - hope it gets even more boost!).
> > `----

Seems like they threw the baby out with the bath water.  Some really
great menu technologies I really liked were Wharf, which was similar to
NextStep, for Linux.  The main issue was that the icons were not always
intuitive, and most implementations were oriented toward a multilingual
target.  As a result, most Wharf menu items did not have text names for
the Icons.

Wharf let you allign the initial menu horizontally or vertically, and
then submenus would pop out and then you could pop out from there.