Re: Copying a partition from one disk to another

In article news:<99q4v3-hk4.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Davies wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> suggested:
> > Another approach:
> > dd if=/dev/hdd0 of=/some-location/hdd0.img
>
> This is an (inefficient) partition image copy.

Inefficient? Do you mean inefficient because it uses a partition image, or
that it is an inefficient way of making/using a partition image?

My first thought was to use a partition image (I had thought about using
partimage to make an image on another drive (maybe over the network), and
then to use that to initialize the new disk). At least with an image you
know that any permissions, symlinks, etc., will be preserved.

The question is: is it the best method (where the main criterion for
goodness is that nothing is likely to go wrong).

> In this case, however, it will *not* achieve what the OP wants, as you'll
> end up with a new filesystem that's the same size as the original -
> regardless of the actual partition size.
[snip]
> which is definitely not what the OP requested.

True, but I can then resize the filesystem with resize_reiserfs, so the
method does provide a possible solution.

Cheers,
 Daniel (the OP).