Re: Moving from one virtual desktop to another in KDE

  • Subject: Re: Moving from one virtual desktop to another in KDE
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 01:03:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.x, comp.windows.x.kde
__/ [ Geico Caveman ] on Thursday 28 September 2006 22:27 \__

> Paul Colquhoun wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:38:07 -0400, Geico Caveman <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>> | I have this essential but buggy program called g3data. The bug is that
>> | its window does not maximize properly / does not show up a scrollbar to
>> | get to the bottom.
>> |
>> | I always need to logout, login using fvwm because fvwm allows you to
>> | smoothly move from one virtual desktop to another and allows windows to
>> | span desktops. Is it possible to do this using KDE (which I use for
>> | everything else) ?
>>

>> You can turn this on in the control panel.
>>
>>   Control Panel -> Desktop -> Window Behaviour -> Advanced -> Active
>>   Desktop Borders
>>
>> I just tried this, and it only worked fort he top and bottom screen
>> borders, but I didn't do much experimenting.
>>

> That definitely allows me to get to the other desktops (however, it appears
> that the motion is now "infinite" desktop 1, mouse at bottom edge leads to
> desktop n, mouse at bottom edge leads to desktop 1 again).
>
> Anyways, this does not work - the windows are snapped off to lie on only
> one desktop - so even if I get into the desktop below the current one, I do
> not get to see the bottom missing portion of the window.
>
> So, how do I configure KDE to allow windows to span desktops ?

I am not /entirely/ sure what you try to achieve, but when using applications
that require a large amount of space (e.g. KNode) on a mono/single-head
display, I just hold ALT down and use the mouse for panning (primary button)
and resizing (secondary button). This makes everything quite snappy.