Re: [News] Ballmer Suddenly Pretends Linux Not a Threat

  • Subject: Re: [News] Ballmer Suddenly Pretends Linux Not a Threat
  • From: John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 12:20:32 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Steve Ballmer at EPS

,----[ Quote ]
| One question from the floor was answered in an interesting
| way. It concerned the threat of Linux, and the surprising
| (but in retrospect obvious) answer was that Linux wasn't
| the threat, it was new business models that were the threat.
`----

http://bankervision.typepad.com/bankervision/2006/10/steve_ballmer_a.html

Interesting. In the a recent press conference he listed it as
one of the top threats, alongside Google. It's a form of FUD
when someone disregards a known threat.

Ballmer's right. It's the Internet machinery that can product "a Linux" which is more of a threat. In fact, it's already producing scores of Linux distroes.

At some point there may be enough developers and market share on the net that not only are there distroes, but kernel branches and, other Unixes or simply OSes which are not Linux.

I mean, what's stopping someone from rolling an OSS/OS that's ground up built...especially with all the new hardware and graphics chips around today, maybe it's time to clean house and start all over again.

--
Texeme Construct