Re: [News] iPods with Windows Venom

[post re-ordered to group like-topics together]

"Mark Kent" <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| We recently discovered that a small number - less
>>| than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase
>>| after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer
>>| carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known
>>| virus affects only Windows computers...
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

[...]
>> Addendum:
>>
>> Apple blames Windows for iPod virus
>>
>> "As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy
>> against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not
>> catching it," they wrote.
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/061017/1361931.html?.v=1
>>

> Why would anyone risk building a device on Windows - sooner or later,
> this problem is /bound/ to come up.

    Perhaps the problem comes up rarely enough that the benefits outweight
the cost. Apple isn't a stupid company. I'm sure people much smarter and
more knowledgeable than either of us were involved in the decision to use
Windows as a development platform at Apple.

>> In protest of DRM appliances, as well as platforms
>> that offer no protection. Only a couple of days ago:
>>
>> Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
>>| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
>>| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/16/mcd_spyware_mp3_recall/
>>
>> Reminiscent of that infamous Sony rootkit, the recalls, the
>> angry Windows users, and the irreversible PR damage.

    Somewhat, though perhaps Apple will be excused, as the malware wasn't
intentionally placed there by Apple as it was with Sony.

    - Oliver