[News] Investment in Open Source Seems Very Rational

Why would anyone invest in open source? Part two

,----[ Quote ]
| "The big advantage open source companies have over traditional
| software companies is the ability to rapidly take unit marketshare
| and create a new standard. The best example of this is MySQL.
|
| "Who would have thought five years ago there would have been
| another database to rival IBM DB2, Oracle, and MS SQL Server?
| By all estimates MySQL now has my more installations than IBM
| or Oracle; some estimates show that MySQL has more
| installations than SQL Server!
|
| "Open source allows a company to completely change the rules
| of the game. MySQL has over $40M in revenue the past 12
| months and is probably valued at over $1 Billion. This is
| an amazing company."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/10/why_would_anyon_1.html
http://tinyurl.com/yb46rf

Also today (same site):

MySQL splits in two

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/10/mysql_splits_in.html
http://tinyurl.com/yg556v

Posted yesterday:

MySQL boosts its Community...with Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2006/10/mysql_boosts_it.html