Re: [News] McGill Daily Advocates Linux

begin  oe_protect.scr
> Techno File: Don't fear the penguin
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Penguins are sleek, quick, and nothing to be afraid of. The same can
>| be said about Linux. Linux is the core of many operating systems used
>| by businesses and individuals, including myself. It is cheaper than
>| Windows or a Mac ? free in fact ? well-designed, amazingly secure,
>| and surprisingly easy to use. My preferred distribution, Ubuntu,
>| is designed for beginners, and can be set up and running in
>| half an hour.
> `----
>
> http://www.mcgilldaily.com/view.php?aid=5395

Interesting - 1/2 hour to get it set up and running.  This really does
illustrate just how far things have come in the linux world.  It won't
be long before a pre-install isn't actually necessary, retailers could
be offering a choice /in the shop/.  At least for Linux distros, anyway.

Obviously, for Windows, it wouldn't be practical to install at point of
sale, as it would take hours, possibly days, to get everything working,
unless you have some kind of pre-prepared media, in which case, you'd
have a huge logistics problem, and a lack of flexibility about what the
store could build.

Linux installs have more or less got to the point where point-of-sale
mass customisation is now a practicality.

consultant, n.:
	Someone who knowns 101 ways to make love, but can't get a date.