Re: [News] Forced Vista Upgrade Push/Strategy?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Forced Vista Upgrade Push/Strategy?
  • From: "Martha Adams" <mhada@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 01:47:47 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
I can agree with someone wanting to get all the Windows out,
but I think, it's well to pay attention to what the world at large
is doing.  For example, for reasons I don't understand (but I
have some suspicions, since they've received a large
endowment from Gates), Mass Inst of Technology is very
Windows oriented.  There are ways to live with Windows
imperfections, frustrations, badly done software, and their
obvious attempt to define computer tech as their place with
nothing else anywhere; and I've found a good one.

Well, two.  For me, it works to have a Linux in my machine,
along with the Windows XP that came in it.  I converted the
Windows original filesystem into a vfat my Linux can reach
easily; I did a fun thing in my Linux by providing the Windows
with a /luz not a /win place in the filesystem; and then I found
out about Cygwin and added that to my Windows.  Thus I
get along fine with the many Windows people in my life; and
also, I have the unix style resources that complement the
pretty major deficiencies in Windows.

All this took a little work, but for me, it's worth it.  And if in
their upcoming Vista, Microsoft "improves" their controls,
restrictions, and covert search technology into users
machines, I'll simply move over entirely to my Linux.  I think
my friends at MIT and elsewhere, will in that case be well
ahead of me, for MIT is basically a research institution, not
a total-control institution.  As seems to be Microsoft's
ambition.

So I've got a sharp eye out for what evil, I mean what
changes, Microsoft puts into their upcoming Vista; but I don't
feel awfully involved about it.  I probably want to go all the
way over to Linux anyhow, and a little shove from Microsoft
will be good for me over the long run.

Cheers -- Martha Adams