Re: [News] 3D Linux Desktops to Improve Productivity?

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:11:49 GMT, ed wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 21:50:57 +0100
>
>> 3D desktop computing with Mandriva and SabayonLinux
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Overall though, I am one of the persons who enjoy the concept of a
>>| 3D desktop. There are voices in the Linux community saying that this
>>| is nothing but useless eye candy, but I happen to believe that a 3D
>>| accelerated desktop has a potential to increase one's productivity
>>| on our computers once the new habits become entrenched.
>> `----
>>
>> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20061016#blog
>>
>> Plenty more in this weekly newsletter.
>
> it's hard to believe that the 3d effects alone can help.. the other
> features of beryl might, i preferred the earlier UI post of yours today
> for improved usability.

I don't believe the 3d effects improve productivity at all, but they do
help with transition, which is important.  Jarring UI's cause loss of
productivity, and transitions help to reduce that.  They don't improve
productivity, they simply lose less of it.

Where Beryl and Compiz and the like improve things is that they utilize a
more MVC based approach to viewports.  This is what allows the same drawing
surface to be mapped to more than one surface.  It's also what makes XGL
seem so much faster.