Re: [News] A Missing 'Feature' in GNU/Linux

  • Subject: Re: [News] A Missing 'Feature' in GNU/Linux
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:00:09 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on 16 Oct 2006 07:02:19 -0700
<1161007339.349000.323160@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Rant Mode Equals One: Let's Re-License Redmond
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I've never, on my computer at home, running Linux,
> |
> |     * had an unexplained (Read: non-power-failure related
> |       system crash.

Well, I did.  I'll admit I have no idea what caused it but Apache
wouldn't fire up on my one box, so I had to restart the entire box.
I wanted to anyway to try to boot a new kernel; it's as good
an excuse as any.  This after about 127 days of operation.  I'm
going to have some rebuilding in my future, though; /boot is now
too small (8 MiB) to hold 2 kernel/initrd images.  Sigh.

I suspect it ran out of a resource but frankly don't know.

> |     * virus. Nope, not one.

I probably have lots of viruses -- in text form. :-)  Fairly harmless
that way.

> |     * installed anti-virus software or anti-malware or any of
> |       the otherday to day crud that a typical Windows-based PC
> |       requires to surf the internet "safely".

I have chkrootkit.  It's fairly basic protection and is primarily post
mortem; if it indicates a positive result, one's already infected.
Thankfully, one can reinstall Linux in that case without too much
bother, and in any event it's unlikely to get infected anyway.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #40490127:
for(;;) ;