Re: New OSS Project Assists Standards

  • Subject: Re: New OSS Project Assists Standards
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 14 Oct 2006 12:46:33 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Open-source HA middleware spawns apps ecosystem
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | OpenClovis will launch an open source project site next
> | month,  designed to help commercial and open-source software
> | developers add high-availability (HA) features to their
> | applications. The "ClovisForge" site will host wrappers that
> | integrate applications with the OpenClovis suite of dual-licensed,
> | high-availability middleware.

First, I should say that it is really good to see that there is yet
another vendor of high grade Unix software offering a high quality
commercial product for Linux.  Welcome to the market.

Linux has supported High Availability features for years.  The NASA
Beowulf project had HA Linux clusters back in 1994.  They pioneered
many of the technologies and concepts that were used in later Linux
clusters, including such clusters as Blue Gene.

More commercialized clusters, often used in the financial services
industries, use more complex protocols such as SOAP, GLOBUS, and WMQ,
to provide clustering, security, and geographic distribution between
nodes, but even then, many of the concepts were developed in the
"Foundry" of Linux and OSS for NASA, the National Weather Service, and
the NCSA.

> | OpenClovis VP of marketing Subbu Iyer describes ClovisForge as
> | "the first  site dedicated to open telecom applications." He
> | says the site grew out of  the "converging infrastructure"
> | between IT datacenters and  telecommunications, as a result of
> | AdvancedTCA, Carrier Grade Linux, and  other standards aimed at
> | leveraging commodity PC components and operating systems in telecom.
> `----

Looking at the descriptions, this looks like a nice package.  Sure,
it's possible to roll your own from hand coded C++ and OSS component
parts, but it's nice to have a package that gives you the flexibility
to make rapid changes with minimal effort.  This can be really
important when you are paying highly skilled consultants to support a
rapidly growing and changing organization.