Re: [News] Solaris/GNU/Linux Hybrid

__/ [ yttrx ] on Saturday 14 October 2006 00:08 \__

>> Nexenta combines OpenSolaris, GNU, and Ubuntu
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | What do you get when you combine OpenSolaris, the GNU utilities, and
>> | Ubuntu? Nexenta -- a GNU-based open source operating system built on top
>> | of the OpenSolaris kernel and runtime. I took the Alpha 5 release out
>> | for a spin to see how well it's progressing. It might sound like an odd
>> | combination, but after more than a year of development, it actually
>> | works well, and is shaping up to be a very interesting operating system.
>> `----
>>
>> http://distrocenter.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/06/150252&from=rss
>
> Ok now thats fucking cool.

Maybe it'll appeal to Google. They experimented with OpenSolaris and I
imagine that they sought to reduce power consumption (the highest expense
for 24/7-working harvesters and indexers).

Do you reckon they can make use of Apple's Open Source as well? Aqua, as well
as the visual bits, are proprietary, but maybe there's something valuable in
the kernel. Unification is a good thing. More eyes make bugs shallow and
more source code has been reviewed by more eyes, many of which got paid
generously by companies.