Re: Roy Schestowitz: Oh man

"Sean Inglis" <none@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:L6idnfevFprL8LDYnZ2dnUVZ_sWdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The articles in question have only two things in common: 1) they are
> posted by Roy and 2) they are on-topic posts concerned with Linux
> advocacy.

    It's debatable whether everything Roy posts is "on-topic posts concerned
with Linux advocacy".

    I don't think Windows bashing is a form of Linux advocacy (unless
Windows is *COMPARED* to Linux, instead of merely being bashed), but even if
I accept the occasional Windows bashing, Microsoft bashing isn't even a form
of Windows bashing. Bill Gates bashing isn't a form of Microsoft bashing nor
Windows bashing.

    <sarcasm>"Bill Gates funds newspapers". Oh, okay, I guess that means I
should reformat my harddrive, get rid of WinXP, and switch to Linux, as this
clearly indicates the technical merits of Linux over Windows.</sarcasm>

    It's very easy to advocate Linux features without bashing any other OS.
Consider these examples:

XGL has features motion blur, casts shadows, and texture perspective
correction. Here's a video of it running in full glory. Isn't that neat?
<leaveOutThisPart>Vista sucks in comparison.</leaveOutThisPart>

Check out KDE's new start menu. It's context aware, and you can search
through it. <leaveOutThisPart>Vista's start menu is a joke in
comparison.</leaveOutThisPart>

Amarok links to Wikipedia, and auto-downloads lyrics.
<leaveOutThisPart>Windows Media Player can't even play ogg vorbis
files.</leaveOutThisPart>

etc.

    There's a lot of technology in Linux which are amazing achievements on
their own. Adding a jab at Windows at the end, to me, is a sign of
insecurity and weakens the message, rather than strengthens it. But maybe
that's just my opinion: the MS/Windows/Bill Gates/Whatever bashing wouldn't
be so bad, if there were actually some Linux advocacy included along with
the post. I don't understand what the point is of those posts which are pure
bashing and zero advocacy:

Bill Gates buys newspapers (okay... and how does this make Linux good?)
Ballmer doesn't get FOSS (okay... and how does this make Linux good?)
Zune's wireless features are useless (okay... and how does this make Linux
good?)
XBox360 overheats and has a lot of problems (okay... and how does this make
Linux good?)
etc.

    - Oliver