Re: [News] Ballmer Throws in Some OSS Disinformation Into Interview on Web

__/ [ Oliver Wong ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 20:59 \__

> [post re-ordered to group like-topics together]

>> The Web According to Ballmer
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Open source is not a new technology area. It was a new business model.
>> In
>> | the last three or four years, we have competed very well by extending
>> | our value. Open source never goes away as a business model or
>> competitor.
>> | We have learned how to compete with open source, and we will compete
>> | with it for the rest of time. But competing with open source will have
>> | to be something that's burned bright on the foreheads of our senior
>> people.
>> `----
>>
>> This statement contradicts the fast growth of Open Source. There is still
>> this /illusion/m which is a residue of OEM's who are forced to (through
>> 'scare tactics') to prebundle nothing but Windows. Meanwhile, all surveys
>> indicate that OSS technology (and not necessily Linux) grows at enormous
>> scales.
>
>     I don't see the contradiction... In this quote, Ballmer didn't say Open
> Source grows slowly or anything like that.

True, but he appears to suggest that Open Source can be ignored rather than
address it the way he did in one of the latest large press conferences. He
described Google, Linux (and Open Source?) as Microsoft's biggest threats,
which did not align with Gates' identification of Big Blue as the major
threat. IBM and Google are great backers of Linux, by the way, so the two
are not mutually exclusive.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060716/ENT05/607160496/1115

>     This seems to point to an article about the PS2 and the Xbox (not 360)
> from July 16th, 2006.

Oops. Aplologies... I had that URL in the clipboard stack since John Bailo
had requested it. Here's the link:

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2006/tc20061011_940241.htm

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
  9:05pm  up 12 days 21:49,  7 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.70, 0.65