Re: [News] Sharp Introduces New Linux-based Handheld

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Wednesday 11 October 2006 09:55 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Sharp Zaurus RD-CMP2000R
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Sharp has announced a new Linux-based handheld for distribution in
>> | Asia.
>> |
>> | Formally, the Zaurus RD-CMP2000R is an electronic dictionary, but thanks
>> | to the open OS it can easily cope with common PDA-related tasks.
>> | Although the manufacturer didn?t reveal the complete list of hardware
>> | specifications, even those announced can make the majority of handheld
>> | owners envious.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pdalive.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12200
>
> Another one for Asia, bugger all for us.

Yeah, I know. I thought about that recent discussion with you when posting
this. The photo seems to suggest that, language-wise, it's a lost cause.
There needs to be some development for which you need to guarantee a large
and willing userbase.

> Sharp used to like us poor Britland folk, did we say something to offend
> them or something?

To be honest with you, I see very few electronic appliances over here that
are Sharp-branded. I don't know if the company has had (or is experiencing)
a global decline. Maybe it's a regional thing... and for distribution they
need the importers, or else it's too costly for the supplier. The
distribution channels are the key to having the items in many shops, I
guess...

> When I grumbled about this lack of proper Linux PDAs in britland on a forum
> I frequently grumble on, someone suggested that it might simply be that our
> phone people, being closely married with MS, are the reason that these
> devices can't sell over here. Because of cause the phone companies would
> have to make thier own side of things on the Sim work in Linux. Seems a
> reasonable argument, I don't really know about Sim cards, whether it is
> purely data or if it also holds some code but I suppose the phone companies
> when they are selling phones that are built for $5 to customers for $120
> and selling air time at a minimum of £20 a month that doesn't really cost
> anything once the aerials are in place, these companies are not likely to
> be the sort that invest in developing anything.
>
> In fact you could already argue that the phone devices are heading towards
> being static. Phone/Music box is all they can find to push on the adverts.
> No new functionality of the phone itself. Even my new PDA, functionally it
> is exactly the same as the one I was carrying around from that same company
> for the last two years.

I have been using Palm devices for over 4 years and I still do with them the
same things I did 4 years ago. In fact, I probably do less. I use very basic
PIM (and less is more). Simplicity gives good battery life and keeps the
clutter/instability/slowness away. The 'toying and tinkering period' was
back in 2002 when it was (still, at the time) unusual to write E-mails from
a PDA. Among other things... then came the modern handsets, which are a
commodity to many (and seemingly cheap as long as they pay the phone bill$).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?
Swap:  1036184k total,   396156k used,   640028k free,    61104k cached