Re: Linux Issues For New People...

  • Subject: Re: Linux Issues For New People...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 04:01:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ [H]omer ] on Tuesday 10 October 2006 22:57 \__

> Henry wrote:
>> <a bunch of lies about tar files>
>
> Are you using Linux From Scratch or something?
>
> Pointy -> Clicky -> Synaptic -> Firefox -> Install
>
> Or Yumex or Pirut or Yast or ......
>
> Yeah ... it *really* sounds like you "tried" all those distros.

Installation in Linux is easier than installation in Windows (and even Mac
.dmg drag-and-drop) owing to repositories, categorisation, and package
search. The OP either delivers FUD or does his thing the wrong way (e.g.
attempts to install software that is not ready for public consumption).
Vis-a-vis Web browsers, Firefox installation is a drag and drop thing in
SUSE. Other distributions make it a Synaptic/YaSY/Yum/Smart/Zen thing (or
just let a three-word command run in the console).

Lastly, also on the same issue, people's major complaint is that installtion
in Linux _is not the same as_ installation in Windows.

"I can't find control panel..."

"I can't double-click to run this (untrusted) file I have just downloaded..."

For all we know this could be an 'rm -rf /' script, which of course will run
with the user logged in with Admin privileges (how else can a Windows user
get anything done?).

Confucius says: man who pick lenient O/S sob for one week.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Holey (sic) Cow! Longhorn is full of holes...
roy      pts/4                         Tue Oct 10 15:44 - 15:44  (00:00)