Re: Red Hat's $325 Million Buyback Plan Raises Stock Value

rwwff@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Larry Qualig wrote:
>> Redhat is forced to spend its own money to sop up its worthless stock.
>
> Well, for a company that has some excess cash, buying back stock and
> debt can be a good way to improve the balance sheet.   And if you
> suspect that your stock has just taken an artificial hit that will
> dissipate, you should pounce while the timing is favorable.

Actually the response that I posted was a verbatim copy of what was posted
here in COLA when MSFT announced that they were doing a stock buyback
program. The only thing I did was replace "Microsoft" with "Redhat" but
kept the original wording intact.

I just find it interesting that when MSFT announced a stock buyback it
signals the "beginning of the end" for the company and "Microsoft is forced
to spend its own money to sop up its worthless stock" but when Redhat does
the exact same thing it is now viewed as being a positive thing.

Note: I've been investing regularly in the stock market for many years.
There are hundreds of successful companies that issue stock buyback
(repurchasing) programs. I view this (as does Wall Street) as a positive.

> Besides... why do you care about the stock price of redhat?  I sure
> don't.

For RHAT it's because I actually own shares in the company. Other than
that... why do many in COLA care about the share price of MSFT?