[News] MS Plateau - Quiet Before the Storm (Collapse)?

(Microsoft:) Where's The Growth?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft lumbers into the second quarter of its fiscal year
| looking precisely like the mature company it so badly wishes
| it wasn't.
|
| Even though the Redmond, Wash.-based software behemoth is
| getting closer to finally releasing its new operating
| system, known as Windows Vista, its growth
| businesses--like the Xbox video game console and its
| MSN Internet unit--remain unprofitable.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/10/25/microsoft-earnings-vista-tech_cx_ck_1026microsoft.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yy9fnf

Meanwhile (also today):

VARBusiness Honors IBM With Tech Innovator of the Year Award

,----[ Quote ]
| "Innovations like what we've seen from IBM demonstrate the
| vibrancy and vitality of the industry," said Lawrence M.
| Walsh, VARBusiness Editor. "They represent breakthroughs
| that will benefit our solution-provider readers and, in
| turn, the users of technology."
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/iw/061026/0177053.html

Nintendo 1H Profit Rises 48 Percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Nintendo Co. said Thursday its profit jumped 48 percent in
| the first half of its fiscal year on booming sales of its
| Nintendo DS handheld game machine.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061026/earns_japan_nintendo.html?.v=1

It's apparent that the gaming industry flourishes (PS3 with Linux soon to
savour the shopping sprees). And yet, the XBox loses billions.