Re: [News] Windows Upgrade Coupons Have Hidden Pitfalls

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> On 25 Oct 2006 18:46:20 -0700, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Hidden Costs of Vista Upgrade Coupon
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| If you use this coupon program, you are committing
>>| yourself to personally upgrading your own PC. Are you
>>| up to the task? Are you ready to fork over some extra
>>| dough if necessary? And are you ready to spend the
>>| time the upgrade process will take?
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003020.html
>>
>> Suddenly the user is put in the same place as that who buys a Windows
>> box and replaces it with GNU/Linux. Fancinating.
>
> Gee Whiz.  I wonder how they survived the XP upgrade coupon, and the ME
> Upgrade Coupon?  And the 98 Updgrade Coupon....

At the time that ME and XP came out, people would get the boy down the road
to reinstall it for them, after they completely b0rk3d the system the first
time around.

At the time, Windows was considered K00L. Windows is no longer considered
cool in fact it is seriously uncool. You can't even surf the Web without
gettin' 0wn3d. The K00L OS is some version of Linux now, most likely
Ubuntu. All the really cool, free software is coming out for Linux.

It is now likely that after the poor Windows users has completely B0rk3d
their system by doing an upgrade, the boy down the road will happily
install Linux for them, with the knowledge that he has done them a really
good turn.

After all, you don't have to have a credit card to get the uncrippled
version of Linux. Whereas, every version of Vista is crippled in
comparison.

Ian