Re: Linux Flash Player 9 Opens Up a Bit

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Not Completely Open Source, But...
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | It's all still rather experimental but we hope this will
> | lay the groundwork for opening up more interfaces which
> | will allow the Player to adapt to Linux's natural
> | evolution.
> `----

This is great news, but it's also worth noting that Adobe does offer a
"binary only" version.
I know the debian fans want ONLY OSS software on their machines, but
the more pragmatic among us are quite happy to see binary-only
commercial products coming to Linux.

On the other hand, the experience of those who have released OSS
versions of their products has shown that this is a great way to
leverage R&D resources.  Gecko/Mozilla/FireFox and Eclipse are
excellent examples.

> http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2006/10/not_completely_open_source_but.html
>
> Adobe has begun releasing/porting more of its software to Linux. For
> those who want Open Source Flash today:

> Gnash - Open Source Flash

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Gnash is a GNU Flash movie player. Till now it has only
> | been possible to play flash movies with proprietary
> | software. While there are a few other free flash
> | players, none supports anything higher than SWF v4
> | at best. Gnash is based on GameSWF, and supports many
> | SWF v7 features.
> `----

Like Ghostscript supports Postscript.
I don't think Adobe will go bankrupt over this.
In fact, it might make Flash even more popular.
The same way that Ghostscript made postscript compatible output
    very popular on Linux systems.