Re: [News] Friendly Attitude in the Open Source Community

BearItAll wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> The FOSS community makes new users feel welcome
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | After being semi-comfortably ensconced in the world
>> | of Microsoft products since the days of Windows 3.0,
>> | I recently joined the growing ranks of people who
>> | realize the value in switching to open source
>> | software. What surprised me most about changing
>> | operating systems wasn't the myriad of different
>> | Linux distributions (how refreshing) nor the vast
>> | control they give users over their systems (what
>> | liberation). No, what surprised me most was howf
>> | riendly and welcoming the open source community
>> | has been.
>> `----
>>
>> http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/12/1640247
>
> Aww, I think it so sweet when someone new comes along and saying how nice we
> all are because they haven't yet noticed the boiling oil and sack of
> feathers precariously balanced on top of the door.

I'd rather have flames, than the usual dispassionate and robotic
discourse of "Thank you for contacting support" that you get in the
Windows world. At least with FOSS developers, you get direct contact,
and an honest and pertinent answer, even if it isn't always the answer
you were hoping for.

If I have to listen to one more recorded message like "Your call is
important to us. You are at queue position ... 12", I swear to God I'm
going to fly over to that Indian call centre and start shooting people.

As for "community" support for proprietary apps, it seems to be filled
with posts like "why doesn't the developer ever read this forum" and
"has product <foobar> been abandoned" and "the best thing to do is just
Wip'N'Reinstall to solve that problem". Yes, very useful.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| Gates' Law: Every 18 months, the speed of software halves.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.16-1.2133_FC5
 17:21:32 up 129 days, 17:38,  5 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.30, 0.34