Re: [News] Commercial Software Does not Win on Support

begin  oe_protect.scr
> I work for MS but even I struggle to get a hot-fix
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The problem took 260 minutes to resolve from start to
>| finish and an estimated 90 minutes of Ledgard's time,
>| not including the time it took to write-up his problems...
>| Still, the frustrations experienced by Ledgard give
>| a salutary lesson that Microsoft's online product
>| support is mediocre, at best, and will surely strike
>| a chord with many long-suffering sys admins.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/24/ms_hot-fix_hell/
>
> Even a Microsoft employee need to Google this and Google that in oder
> to resolve a trivial issue.

This has always been the hole in the "support" argument.  Most support
offered for proprietary products to all but the largest commercial
organisations for the largest platforms is dreadful.  The open-source
world realised this years ago, which is one reason why the growth of
linux and FLOSS has been so huge - people can fix their own problems
without having to rely on next-to-useless support helplines, websites,
and the like.

This door is baroquen, please wiggle Handel.
(If I wiggle Handel, will it wiggle Bach?)
		-- Found on a door in the MSU music building