Re: Advocacy Replaced by the Facts on the Ground

  • Subject: Re: Advocacy Replaced by the Facts on the Ground
  • From: Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 06:20:28 -0500
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
After takin' a swig o' grog, flatfish+++ belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:37:36 +0100, Kier wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 22:11:30 +0000, Oliver Wong wrote:
>>

>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>>     I highly recommended reading this article. The author makes many (IMHO)
>>> insightful points. The author likes Linux, but is definitely not fanatical
>>> about it. And (s)he is capable of introspection of the Linux community as a
>>> whole.
>>
>> He writes some good stuff about getting the best from openSUSE, too.
>
> It's the first place for a new Suse user to go so that they can
> install/fix all the things that are missing from a stock Suse install.
>
> He/she does do a very good job of things.

It explains some of the trolling, too:

   "In general, I think many people who are moving away from Windows are
   going to GNU/Linux with the expectation that it is a software utopia
   where computer problems don't exist. That environment will never
   happen on any architecture or platform, but GNU/Linux often comes
   close as long as you know your way around it. I see people on forums
   and mailing lists talk about how "Linux is not ready for the desktop"
   because they're embarrassed that they couldn't figure out something
   horrifyingly simple, like how to adjust the sound volume or add
   Macromedia Flash support to their Web browser -- things that could be
   solved by reading the available documentation or searching Google.
   These same challenges exist on Windows too, but you expect Windows to
   malfunction, so it's acceptable."

--
   Real programmers don't use Visual Basic.