Re: [News] UNIXes User Tries the Most Widespread Desktop O/S...

  • Subject: Re: [News] UNIXes User Tries the Most Widespread Desktop O/S...
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 00:30:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
begin  oe_protect.scr
Geico Caveman <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> | changed significantly since the first versions ofW
>> | indows NT, while other systems have evolved dramatically(
>> | compare what Ubuntu is now to what Debian was 10 years
>> | ago, even at the kernel level). The much-advertised
>
> Excuse me ???
>
> "Kernel level" ?
>
> Doesn't this fellow know that all Linux distros use roughly the same kernel,
> with a few patches here and there (for shipped kernels), and that Ubuntu is
> merely a polished and frozen snapshot of Debian ?
>
> Advocacy is fine, but I am afraid when an advocate makes blunders like that,
> it renders the rest somewhat worthless to read.

Err, the current Ubuntu kernel has come a terribly long way since the
debian kernel of 10 years ago.  The statement is correct.  Obviously,
there wasn't an ubuntu kernel 10 years ago, but to my reading, the
writer knows exactly what he's saying.

> Yes, I know that he is doing a comparison between Debian 10 years ago and
> Ubuntu today, but there is an implicit assumption behind the choice of the
> phrases.
>
> Distros generally don't mess with the kernel too much, and the patches that
> some distros do release are minor (more accurately, miniscule) compared to
> what kernel is.
>
>> http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=16260
>
> Roy, please do be judicious in selecting what advocacy you choose to post. A
> lot of it is good and to the point - the rest is tripe.

I think the plank could be in your own eye here.

Save yourself from the 'Gates' of hell, use Linux."  -- like that one.
	-- The_Kind @ LinuxNet