Re: [News] UNIXes User Tries the Most Widespread Desktop O/S...

  • Subject: Re: [News] UNIXes User Tries the Most Widespread Desktop O/S...
  • From: ed <ed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:55:27 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On 23 Oct 2006 13:55:25 -0700
"Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> One Week Back to Windows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | However, compared to what I am using most of the
> | time (Linux, Solaris, NetBSD, FreeBSD, OS X and Minix),
> | Windows proved to have three major flaws.
> |
> | First of all, what's in the box is hardly what it's
> | advertised to be. You don't get a modern operating
> | system, packed with useful features and exciting prospects.
> | You get a rather primitive system, both in terms of
> | architecture and in terms of basic tools. And it's
> | certainly not modern -- the architecture hasn't
> | changed significantly since the first versions ofW
> | indows NT, while other systems have evolved dramatically(
> | compare what Ubuntu is now to what Debian was 10 years
> | ago, even at the kernel level). The much-advertised
> | multimedia experience is pale compared to OS X and,
> | in some ways, even to BeOS. And, for the last ten
> | years, Microsoft has constantly advertised the
> | improvements in Windows security and how much more
> | secure Windows is when compared to Linux, OS X or
> | Unices. However, I'm yet to suffer from spyware and
> | viruses on these systems.
> |
> | Secondly, Windows proved to be too much of a hassle
> | to maintain. Windows Updates, defragmenting, virus
> | checking, spyware checking, system checking for registry
> | problems and other similar problems are simply too much.
> | On the other operating systems I use, the only thing I
> | supervise are system updates, and that's because I want
> | to know what it installs and maybe bypass some updates.
> | Quite about everything else is scheduled, and requires
> | no attention from me since the process is completely
> | non-interactive. As a consequence, I don't even think
> | I can name more than 5 arguments of fsck -- since the
> | tools itself is free, all my computers use roughly the
> | same cron file, which I just copy-pasted around, so I
> | only looked at them a couple of time.
> |
> | And finally, Windows proved to be too inflexible.
> | There are a lot of things I can't configure, and
> | those which can be configured are accessed through a
> | cryptic Registry which you have to very careful with.
> `----
>
> http://osnews.com/story.php?news_id=16260

and so much just cant be done ootb. de ja vu, but 2 years ago.

why, for crying out load doesnt ms just put ssh client/server in, they
have telnet daemon, so why not ssh? it's been around for ages.

if i looked after the putty site, i'd want banner adverts, it would make
them a mint, must be so heavily accessed.

so many other things too make it useless without third parties to
provide things that make it possible to get things done.

--
Regards, Ed                      :: http://www.openbsdhacker.com
proud java hacker