Re: Linux in the Hospital

  • Subject: Re: Linux in the Hospital
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 02:25:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ High Plains Thumper ] on Monday 16 October 2006 18:10 \__

> thad01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote in

>>> Happy to oblige,
>>> http://www.technewsworld.com/story/52892.html
>>
>> Thats cool, but its not even the manufacturer I'm refering
>> to.  The one I'm working with is a major American company,
>> probably the biggest maker of medical scanning equipment
>> out there.  Here's a hint... their name starts with G.E.
>> and ends with Healthcare.  Best I can tell, they made a big
>> move to Linux some time ago and having several shipping
>> products that use it, including PET, CT, and MRI scanners.
>> Here is a brocure that mentions one.
>>
>> http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/downloads/HP_GE-Healthcare-I
>> maging.pdf
>>
>> Cool stuff, though I'm not so sure I can go into a lot of
>> detail about the stuff I'm working... non-disclosers and
>> all that.
>
> This is interesting.  About 12 years ago, General Electric was
> using Unix on their CT scanners, I think it was Solaris.  Cost
> then was around $1 million US on a project of mine.

Philips is moving to real-time SUSE Linux, IIRC. Siemens have got Windows on
the front end (and probably the remainder as well). I did a couple of scans
for a friend's experiments at Hope Hospital. The computer system crashed in
the middle, requiring engineers (maintenance) to recover. This halted the
operations for the rest of the day, which is sad because people's lives
depend on that scanner. I also heard that Barry, the guy who runs the
scanner, has lost a lot of important data in the past. Wonderful! To the
practitioners it's just a fault-intolerant computer system, so they wouldn't
care to criticise, let alone analyse the underlying technology.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows: slippery when dry. You have been warned.
Cpu(s):  20.2% user,   2.8% system,   1.1% nice,  76.0% idle