[News] FedoraStation3 Has Upper Hand, Microsoft to Sue for Side-by-side Comparison

Sony beats out Microsoft's XBox by positioning the PS3 as a social networking
site for gamers

,----[ Quote ]
| As reported on BBC News, Sony has informed the public that it
| plans on viewing the PS3 service as an online community. The
| PS3 network will allow game owners to chat, download extras,
| store images, video, or music, and browse the net.
`----

http://www.606tech.com/fullarticle.php?artid=83

Microsoft Prepares Legal Action Over Sony Propaganda

,----[ Quote ]
| Sony has been showing off the following chart (above), which
| supposedly shows a price comparison between the PS3 and
| Xbox 360.
`----

http://forums.xbox.com/7498563/ShowPost.aspx

The Windows EULA forbids side-by-side comparisons as well. But
never mind all of the astroturfing from Microsoft, including
the funding of pro-XBox Web sites. Never mind the shills and
viral marketing, e.g.:

A new Microsoft-commissioned anti-Linux study debuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft seemingly has backed off from trumpeting
| its "Get the Facts" studies, as of late. But that doesn't
| mean the company has ceased commissioning research outfit
| to perform its anti-Linux dirty work.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/index.php?p=12

Microsoft Traps and Hunts for Bloggers in India !!

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://i5bala.blogspot.com/2006/10/microsoft-traps-and-hunts-for-bloggers.html

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Home/9F60D74A-0E27-4F5F-B88D-835974628809.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Some years back, Microsoft practiced a lot of dirty tricks
| using online mavens to go into forums and create Web sites
| extolling the virtues of Windows over OS/2.
`----

http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/gizmos/2005/11/2_grassroots_an.html

Notable examples of viral marketing

,----[ Quote ]
| # ilovebees.com - viral marketing for Halo 2
| # Hotmail, promoted largely by links at the bottoms of emails sent by
| its users, is the classic viral marketing example
| # Microsoft's Origami Project campaign
| # Microsoft's Xbox 360 campaign, called OurColony
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viral_marketing

Recent examples

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2001, the Los Angeles Times accused Microsoft of
| astroturfing when hundreds of similar letters were
| sent to newspapers voicing disagreement with the
| United States Department of Justice and its antitrust
| suit against Microsoft. The letters, prepared by Americans
| for Technology Leadership, had in some cases been
| mailed from deceased citizens or nonexistent addresses.
`----

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing

Halloween V: The FUD Begins

http://www.catb.org/~esr/halloween/halloween5.html

Bill Gates lends cash to buy newspapers

$350 million to MediaNews

,----[ Quote ]
| Gates involvement has been very behind the scenes. In fact
| many of those involved in the deal didn'teven know he was
| one of the investors. It was carried out through the Gates
| Foundation, the world's largest philanthropy outfit.

ToorCon ("Firefox security is a mess") sponsored by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]