Re: Payrise for Red Hat CEO

  • Subject: Re: Payrise for Red Hat CEO
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 20 Oct 2006 21:59:35 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Red Hat Boosts CEO's Salary to $600,000
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Red Hat Inc., which distributes the open-source Linux
> | operating system, this week raised the annual bases
> | alary of its president and chief executive officer by
> | 50 percent to $600,000, according to a Friday filing
> | with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
> `----
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061020/red_hat_ceo.html?.v=1
>
> A fortnight ago:
>
> Pay checks for Gates, Ballmer fall short of $1 million
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Each saw slight salary hikes, to $616,667 in fiscal 2006 from
> $600,000
> | in 2005. But they also pulled in reduced bonuses--$350,000 in 2006,
> as
> | opposed to $400,000 in 2005.

On the other hand, Microsoft paid Dividends, which were not taxed as
regular income.  One payout netted Bill over $5 billion in tax-free
income (which he funneled into the Gates Foundation).

I can't help but wonder what percentage of his income Gates gave to the
Gates foundation.  If he really wanted to, he could turn over all of
his salery as a charitable contribution to his foundation, then keep a
few hundred thousand in dividends for himself.

They got Al Capone for Income Tax evasion :D