Re: Compiz, XGL and Full 3-D Acceleration for Linux Games

  • Subject: Re: Compiz, XGL and Full 3-D Acceleration for Linux Games
  • From: "George Ellison (undercover)" <notamisfit1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 9 Sep 2006 22:09:52 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[H]omer wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > How to play openGL based games with full 3D acceleration on XGL/compiz
> >
> > ,----[ Snippet ]
> > | Never thought how I could solve the ploblem (sic): eye candy with
> > | compiz/xgl and still have the possibility to play ET!
> > `----
> >
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=176636
> >
> > Gaming is headed towards Linux. Nintendo and Sony will sell tens of millions
> > of Linux gaming consoles, which will bring many games to Linux desktops.
>
> Odd? XGL never prevented *me* from playing OGL games; first I've even
> heard of it. Must be an Ubuntu thing.

Nah, it's a vid-card thing. XGL kinda fries direct rendering and
cheaper cards won't be able to keep up (I've got XGL/Compiz running on
my Slack box with a bargain-basement Geforce 6150; PPRacer is kinda
playable but drags ass, and Doom 3 segfaults with extreme prejudice).
For games, I usually just run a second X session with Xorg.