Re: A home desktop class of WMs gone missing?

  • Subject: Re: A home desktop class of WMs gone missing?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 13:02:15 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Jim ] on Friday 08 September 2006 02:56 \__

> On or about 2006-09-08 Friday 01:16, I did witness the following events
> concerning 7:
>
>> Thinking out loud earlier that desktops could
>> be categorized into PC Enginnering Desktops and Office Desktops.
>> PC Engineering Desktop for admin work, PC repairs etc
>> can use light weights like Fluxbox, XFCE, IceWM etc.
>>
>> An Office Desktop with more widgets
>> like KDE (and perhaps Gnome) caters for heavy duty features
>> like video, photoediting, audio mixing, help functions, 2D acceleration
>> etc for general office applications.
>
> I would go efficiency on this over eyecandy. Particularly if you're dealing
> with databases (think mailing lists). Plus the fact that if you're
> streaming video, you don't want processor cycles being eaten up by painting
> pretty desktops. you want them busy crunching video.

There is eye candy and there is eye catcher. Visual cues help you digest more
information more effectively. So it's a tradeoff. There is also another
factor: easy/speed of use. Richer interfaces are often needed.

>> But I don't think its possible to sell either desktops system to the
>> discerning home user.
>> Today atleast they are more reliant on 3D acceleration,
>
> (which goes hand in hand with the...)
>
>> gaming, special
>> effects, translucent effects, more complex widgets, surround speakers,
>> wireless, realtime video effects, PVR, etc...
>> They need a whole new class of window managers which we can
>> call the 'Home Desktop' where all these heavy duty features are built in
>> to the window manager.
>
> meaning you'll be wanting a very meaty GPU (not to mention processor and
> fast RAM).

"Meaty GPU", eh? *smile* I guess it'll be 'well done' inside a Dell.

>> The Home Desktop window manager has higher spec than office desktop, and
>> curiously, for this 'Home Desktop' there is not a category of Linux window
>> managers out there that can cope with it.
>>
>> There are various extensions that can be brought together
>> to make it happen - may be thats how a Home Desktop window manager could
>> start its life.
>
> A home desktop has to cater for the lowest common denominator in technical
> ability. When I built my son's first Linux box, he was so lost I ended up
> asking him to write a list of the things he wanted to do on the computer,
> which he did. I then sat and made links to everything he needed. From that
> point, he never had to use the Kmenu. Everything he needed was right there,
> when he logged in. Thing was, even with a 1920x1400 screen, things got a
> little crowded...

That's a nice idea. I wish my dad built a computer for me. He's a layman when
it comes to technology. I think the paragraph above demonstrates the need
for a large variety of distributions, even if it means that 450 exist. For
those which have high demand, there will be a bright future. Others will
perish. They will no longer be maintained, but they will still be out there
for download (security updates are a concern).

> Which brings me to a point. This is probably in an FAQ somewhere, but, is
> it possible to assign links to a specific desktop in KDE? For instance, I
> want to assign one desktop for games. The only desktop links I want to see
> are for games. Another desktop will be assigned to office productivity. The
> only desktop links I want to see there are for the OOo components, Kate, my
> typesetter du jour, and GIMP. Another for web stuff, where I only want to
> see knode, kmail, firefox, xchat and azureus. Just toying with some ideas
> myself, on saying that I'm fairly satisfied with my 1024x768 workspace and
> peripheral windows filling the rest of the screen (ie apps with smaller
> interfaces, konq file manager, that sort of thing).

You can force applications of type X to always open in virtual desktop Y, or
even be forced to remain there. There is a tonage of options if you look
under the window's context menu (secondary mouse button on title bar or
left-side edge), then something like "change this window's settings" ->
"advanced" (I can't recall for sure because I use KDE 3.1 at the moment).
When you find the settings, go to the tab which deals with behaviour of the
window and set it to strictly remain in whichever virtual desktop deems
suitable. You can also aptly name your workspaces in KDE, which is nice.

Also see:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.windows.x.kde/browse_frm/thread/557732e3286766f/d24cceaeb4dceed4?lnk=gst&q=schestowitz++virtual+desktop&rnum=4#d24cceaeb4dceed4

Best wishes,

Tux is sexy <
http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/08/paris_hilton_tux.jpg >
         run-level 5  Jul 20 12:15                   last=S