Re: Paul Thurrott on Windows Vista RC1: "Welcome to the Dark Side"

  • Subject: Re: Paul Thurrott on Windows Vista RC1: "Welcome to the Dark Side"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 05:15:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Au79 ] on Thursday 07 September 2006 05:05 \__

> billwg wrote:
>

>> "Ray Ingles" <sorceror@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>>
>>> That's, um, not what he says:
>>>
>>> "Whether Vista is enough of an improvement over XP to warrant your hard
>>> earned money is a subject I'm saving for my eventual review of the final
>>> shipping version of the product, but I'll give you a bit of preview now
>>> and say the answer may surprise you."
>>>
>>> From that 'preview':
>>>
>>> "And take User Account Control (UAC), please. No seriously, please take
>>> it. And kill it. And stomp on its dead body. And then hang it on a flag
>>> pole as a warning to others... UAC is the wrong solution for a very real
>>> problem. But the truth is, real power users are just going to turn it
>>> off anyway. All that work has been for nothing, sorry. It's just going
>>> to upset normal people. Every. Single. Day."
>>>
>>> "Windows Vista's antivirus and anti-spam features are particularly
>>> embarrassing because of Microsoft's stated focus on security in Windows
>>> Vista. Oh, and because there aren't any. To get this kind of protection,
>>> you'll need to pay Microsoft $50 a year for Windows Live OneCare which,
>>> while admittedly an excellent product, should also just come free with
>>> the OS that caused the problems in the first place. Obviously."
>>>
>>> So, basically, Vista won't be any more secure than XP and will be
>>> dramatically more annoying. Sounds like a winner!
>>>
>> You can only reach that conclusion by being deliberately unfair, ray.
>> Vista warns you when a program is trying to install software and requires
>> you to
>> verify the operation.  That is nothing more than an "Are you sure?" and
>> much more convenient than the rigmarole you have to do with linux to
>> change
>> log-ins and such.  You get the warning with little real interference with
>> Vista.  With linux you get a full blown task.  That is a clear win for
>> Vista over the tired old structures of unix/linux.
>
> You mean tried and true. Linux has proven to be far more effective in
> controlling viruses, spyware, trojans, and errant apps than any version of
> windows.
>

>> If you are fully confident in your abilities, you can disable the warning,
>> so you are back to the original condition and do not even have the simple
>> dismissal of the alert message to contend with.  I think that it will be a
>> hit.
>
> Yeah, a hit with AV vendors.

Don't worry about it. Microsoft will hit it with no-one. It will mastrubate
with wanker. Oops. I meant OneCare.

Best wishes,

Tux is sexy <
http://bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2006/08/paris_hilton_tux.jpg >
Swap:  1036184k total,   447344k used,   588840k free,    44424k cached