Re: Paul Thurrott on Windows Vista RC1: "Welcome to the Dark Side"

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

< snip >

>> Excessive nuisance leads to carelessness and negligence. It's like the
>> boy who cried wolf. Security comes from below (kernel with proper
>> multi-user architecture), not from above (AV software, prompts, firewall,
>> etc.).
>
> The "excessive nuisance" is no more than Mac and Ubuntu users put up with
> every day from sudo.  It's just that Windows users aren't used to it, and
> it's "annoying" to them.
>
> It's true that earlier versions of Vista were excessively annoying in this
> respect, but this has been fine tuned for release and doesn't have many
> more cases where it's invoked than it would be with a Mac or Ubuntu.

Really? So you claim that linux will ask for confirmation from a "superuser"
nearly as often as even XP running in non-admin mode?
My wife (with her newly aquired laptop) asks several times a day what to
answer to those prompts. And this is not even Shorthorn MCD. It is just
plain old XP, which is far less obnoxious. Yet constantly she is bombarded
with questions from the idiotic firewall to allow/disallow net accesses for
certain programs (until she is through with all of them, apparently). This
stuff is written by imbeciles

What does constitute "not many more cases where it's invoked" in your mind?
A factor of 10? 100? More?

You are aware that typically a linux user is not asked for that at all?
Because there simply is no need?
--
Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.